Monday, June 29, 2009

Welcome to the Ink and Pixel Club!

I love animation. Be it hand drawn, computer generated, clay, stop motion, oil on glass, or anything else, animation fascinates me. I've enjoyed animation since I was little and as I've grown older and learned more about the time and work it takes to create a piece of animation, my enthusiasm for it has only grown.

If you feel the same way, you're in the right place.

I love talking and writing about animation almost as much as I love seeing it. I'll get into lengthy discussions with friends about a film or short or TV show I've seen. When I can't talk to them in person, I'll often send them essay-length e-mails with my thoughts and opinions on what I've been watching, which they are kind enough to actually read. So I figured, if I'm already writing essays about animation, why not share them with more people?

The Ink and Pixel Club probably would not exist if I hadn't stumbled onto the blog of Todd Alcott. Todd is a professional screenwriter whose smart, engaging, and extremely perceptive analysis of various movies got me thinking about story and film in ways I hadn't before. If you've never checked out his blog for yourself, I recommend that you do so right away. Another reason that I started the Ink and Pixel Club was that I got impatient waiting for Todd to talk about some animated films. When he gets around to doing so, believe me, I will let you know.

Much as I enjoy writing, I don't do it for my health and if no one is reading it, it might as well stay in my head. So I want to hear from you, whether you completely agree with what I have to say or think that I am clearly the dumbest person ever to write about animation. If you think there's a movie or TV show or any other kind of animation that I should be looking at and writing about, let me know! I don't love every piece of animation out there, but I do try to keep an open mind. If a friend of mine comes up to me and says "You absolutely have to watch this," I will watch it. So if you have a recommendation (or something you want to see me rips to shreds), let me know in the comments or e-mail me at inkandpixelclub(at)gmail(dot)com. I can't promise you that I'll like what you like, but I will give it a chance.

So come on in and pull up a chair. Settle in and talk it up with your fellow animation fans. Tell us about what you love. Tell us about what you can't stand. Talk about any aspect of animation that strikes your fancy. Welcome to the club. We're glad to have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment